Province Brands of Canada is an early-stage, Grimsby-based, premium adult beverage company founded by veteran entrepreneurs with extensive experience in the premium alcohol and legal medical and recreational cannabis industries.
Province Brands of Canada is a beverage technology company. The company’s IP platform has applications across the alcohol industry, the cannabis industry and the functional beverage industry. Beverages brewed using this technology are low calorie, gluten free and rich in plant phenols, plant sterols, and xylo-oligomers and other desirable compounds. Alcohol-free variants represent a substantial disruption to the sports / nutrition functional beverage market.
Our mission is to transform the way people think about adult beverages. We believe in changing the world for the better by using more sustainable methods for our beverage production and in providing new choices for consumers.
The Research Technician will be assisting Province Brands in carrying out biomass pre-treatment testing, enzymatic hydrolysis and fermentation as part of the product development program and the successful candidate will work alongside a senior researcher to complete lab testing. The work will include operation of a chemical reactor, sampling and analytical testing for samples. The most important requirement for this position is a desire to contribute to the success of the company, so a strong work ethic and a results-oriented drive for success are a must. We are a small team, so that means that every member has the opportunity to contribute their creativity and thoughts to both short-term projects and long-term plans.
The position is for a Research Technician with the following expectations/duties:
- Support the set-up and assembly of all general lab equipment, including analytical (HPLC) and reactors
- Under the direction of a senior researcher, set up and execute enzyme and chemical process experiments; prepare media, buffers, solutions; understand aseptic techniques; be able to perform calculations for concentration and wet chemistry, operation of lab equipment, sampling and lab analysis
- Understand and follow complicated and lengthy protocols using methods of wet chemistry, filtration, titration, spectrophotometry, HPLC, etc.
- Using correct sampling methods, analyze results and maintain testing records
- Compilation and review of experimental data
- Results reporting to the Province team
- College Bachelor of Applied Technology or similar, or University Bachelor of Science degree (BSc.) (with an emphasis in Biotechnology Chemical or Biochemical Engineering)
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience with working in a lab setting and knowledge of lab practices
- Focus on working safely
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Meticulous work habits
- Microsoft Excel
- Experience operating an HPLC (Agilent, Chemstation software) a huge asset
- Experience with enzymatic reactions, fermentation, operation of reactors and biomass characterization protocols a huge asset
TEAM KEY COMPETENCIES
- Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Comfortable with ambiguity.
- Experience in a startup environment is preferred.
- Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Attention to detail.
- Organized, methodical, and meticulous.
- Acts without being told what to do.
- Brings new ideas to the company.
- Team-oriented style and strong work ethic.
- Possesses a strong willingness to work hard to get the job done and setting an example for the team.
- Has a track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Appropriate balance of confidence and humility.