Smithville Home Hardware Building Centre
We have been in business for 30 years and have recently opened our lumber and building materials division. We are looking for a new team member who will help to grow our sales both in store and outside the store. The ideal candidate will thrive on challenges, be a self-starter and enjoy working both out in the field as well as part of a store team.
Our Sales Associate – Lumber and Building Materials is primarily responsible for providing prompt courteous and efficient service to contractors and retail customers, advising them on appropriate merchandise and related items. His or her duties include being familiar with pricing, local building codes, types of building permits issued, preparing quotations, increasing sales, knowledge of rental equipment as well as a variety of other related duties. The Sales Associate must perform all assigned tasks with sufficient speed and accuracy to avoid adverse impact on the level of service to customers and to achieve sales profitability.
- Determine customer’s needs by asking open-ended questions
- Communicate product knowledge to the customer as appropriate
- Process special orders for non-stock or out of stock items
- Be familiar with and maintain up-to-date information on pricing
- Know local building codes
- Know types of building permits issued
- Know prices, practices, and policies of the company’s competitors
- Help customers solve building problems
- Update yourself with practical knowledge of building materials and lumber products, including their uses, advantages, and disadvantages
- Resolve customer complaints
- Be familiar with current yard inventory and surplus items
- Suggest rule, policy and / or procedural changes when you believe they would improve efficiency, sales, profits, morale, etc.
- Maintain professional confidentiality of all store and customer records.
- Build relationships with vendors
- Increase sales through business development
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays
- Friendly and helpful attitude toward customers
- Good mathematical skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively and persuasively with employees, management, suppliers, and customers, to obtain accurate information for pricing, estimates, quotations, etc.
- Willingness to learn
- Prior experience in lumber and building materials required
- Knowledge of rental equipment required
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team atmosphere
- Valid G Class driver's licence
- Own dependable transportation
- Clean drivers abstract