20 Valley Harvest Farms
20 Valley Harvest Farms is a woman-led, family operated fruit and vegetable farm. We strive to live our values at work, including making ethical and environmentally conscious purchasing decisions. Our farm specializes in agri-tourism through our popular pick-your-own. A large part of our customer base are guests visiting the region from the GTA. We strive to offer our guests exceptional customer service and encourage them to come visit our pick-your-own orchards every year!
20 Valley Harvest Farms is seeking a Digital Communications Intern and Office Assistant. The successful candidate will help the farm improve their use of digital tools and techniques, such as WordPress website, e-commerce, social media, advertising, and back-office systems like payroll and inventory. The ideal candidate will be familiar with digital technologies for small business (i.e. Website/Wordpress, social media & e- commerce). The intern will have an opportunity to gain experience in a small agri-tourism business. The student will gain first-hand experience in educating customers on local produce and farming, in a digital age. The youth employee will be using platforms such as WordPress, MailChimp and Square. Our goal is to develop a curbside pick-up system, inventory management, promote products, associated newsletter templates and social media posts.
During harvest, youth employees will also be participating in the day-to-day operations of and weekday management of on-farm fruit and vegetable markets and pick-your-own through such tasks as customer service, harvesting and packing, filling orders, or general farm work. The majority of visitors to the pick-your-own experience are from the Greater Toronto Area. Our farm is conveniently located on the way to Niagara Falls and we are a popular stop for tourists seeking an on-farm experience. This job will give youth employees first-hand experience working in small-scale agri-business and with a focus on agricultural retail sales (a key component of agriculture especially considering the main way for a small-scale agricultural business to be viable in Canada is through retail sales, product differentiation and added-value).
Additional duties may include horticulture, landscape, harvest, filling orders, inventory management, general maintenance, bookkeeping, data entry, and general farm duties.
We are an equal opportunities employer and all applicants will be considered. This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval.
- Friendly and outgoing; positive attitude
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Able to multi-task and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Good decision making ability
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Willing to work weekends and occasionally evenings or early mornings
- Willing to work outdoors
- Requires the ability to lift 35 lbs
Additional skills (considered an asset but not essential):
- Valid driver's license
- Awareness of local food, fruit or horticulture
- Previous retail sales experience
- Experience driving a cargo van
- A second language is an asset, especially languages spoken in Asia, SE Asia, Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe
- Reverence for Mother Earth
This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval. To be eligible for employment under a Canada Summer Jobs grant, youth must meet all of the following criteria.
To be eligible, youth must meet ALL 3 criteria:
1) be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period;
2) be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
3) have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Visit our website: http://20valleyharvest.com/
Email us at: email@example.com
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/20valleyharvest/
Please submit resume by email: firstname.lastname@example.org