20 Valley Harvest Farms
20 Valley Harvest Farms is a woman-led, family operated fruit and vegetable farm. We strive to live our values at work, including making ethical and environmentally conscious purchasing decisions. Our farm specializes in agri-tourism through our popular pick-your-own. A large part of our customer base are guests visiting the region from the GTA. We strive to offer our guests exceptional customer service and encourage them to come visit our pick-your-own orchards every year!
Our Local Food and Farming Curriculum Developer will research and develop on-farm educational workshops for youth (and their parents) and for school groups. Workshop topics will be Environmental or Agricultural in focus. Topics will be determined based on youth's interests (e.g. native pollinators, native plants, permaculture, restoration ecology, food forests, birds and insects, or the historical origins of Thanksgiving and Halloween). Our goal is to make our guests' on-farm experience truly educational.
Additionally, during harvest, youth employees will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of and weekday management of on-farm fruit and vegetable markets and pick-your-own stand. The majority of visitors to the pick-your-own experience are from the Greater Toronto Area. Our farm is conveniently located on the way to Niagara Falls and we are a popular stop for tourists seeking an on-farm experience. Duties may also include general farm work such as harvesting, sorting, and packing fruit and vegetables; organizing and filling orders, managing inventory and sales records; crop maintenance; minor maintenance and repairs; open/close market stands, data entry, bookkeeping, traffic control.
We are an equal opportunities employer. This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval.
- Friendly and outgoing; positive attitude
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Able to multi-task and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Good decision making ability
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Willing to work weekends and occasionally evenings or early mornings
- Willing to work outdoors
- Requires the ability to lift 35 lbs
Additional skills (considered an asset but not essential):
- Valid driver's license
- Awareness of local food, fruit or horticulture
- Previous retail sales experience
- Experience driving a cargo van
- A second language is an asset, especially languages spoken in Asia, SE Asia, Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe
- Forest school or summer camp or education experience would be an asset
- Reverence for Mother Earth
This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval. To be eligible for employment under a Canada Summer Jobs grant, youth must meet all of the following criteria.
To be eligible, youth must meet ALL 3 criteria:
1) be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period;
2) be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
3) have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Visit our website: http://20valleyharvest.com/
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/20valleyharvest/
Please submit resume by email: email@example.com