20 Valley Harvest Farms
20 Valley Harvest Farms is a woman-led, family operated fruit and vegetable farm. We strive to live our values at work, including making ethical and environmentally conscious purchasing decisions. Our farm specializes in agri-tourism through our popular pick-your-own. A large part of our customer base are guests visiting the region from the GTA, many of whom are new Canadians. We strive to offer our guests exceptional customer service and encourage them to come visit our pick-your-own orchards every year!
Our Harvest Team will be responsible for managing the harvest of fruit and vegetables throughout July and August.
Additional duties may include:
Aspects of the day-to-day operations of and weekday management of on-farm fruit and vegetable markets, planting, crop maintenance, utilizing specialized farming techniques and tools, harvesting, sorting, packing, organizing and filling orders, managing inventory, managing retails sales and merchandising at on-farm markets, general miscellaneous farm work, occasional landscaping and yard maintenance, minor repairs and maintenance, assistance with pick-your-own operation, retail and wholesale sales and produce delivery, directing traffic and patrolling orchard.
This job will give youth employees first-hand experience working in small-scale agri-business and with a focus on agricultural retail sales (a key component of agriculture especially considering the main way for a small-scale agricultural business to be viable in Canada is through retail sales, product differentiation and added-value).
We are an equal opportunities employer and all applicants will be considered.
This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval.
- Friendly and outgoing; positive attitude
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Able to multi-task and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Good decision making ability
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Willing to work weekends and occasionally evenings or early mornings
- Willing to work outdoors
- Requires the ability to lift 35 lbs
Additional skills (considered an asset but not essential):
- Valid driver's license
- Awareness of local food, fruit or horticulture
- Previous retail sales experience
- Experience driving a cargo van
- A second language is an asset, especially languages spoken in Asia, SE Asia, Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe
- Reverence for Mother Earth
This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval. To be eligible for employment under a Canada Summer Jobs grant, youth must meet all of the following criteria.
To be eligible, youth must meet ALL 3 criteria:
1) be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period;
2) be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
3) have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations