20 Valley Harvest Farms
20 Valley Harvest Farms is a woman-led, family operated fruit and vegetable farm. We strive to live our values at work, including making ethical and environmentally conscious purchasing decisions. Our farm specializes in agri-tourism through our popular pick-your-own.
A large part of our customer base are guests visiting the region from the GTA. We strive to offer our guests exceptional customer service and encourage them to come visit our pick-your-own orchards every year!
The Landscape Horticulturist will be responsible for managing all aspects of grounds maintenance including mowing lawns, managing gardens, planning and implementing new gardens including pollinator gardens and permaculture gardens.
This youth will also be involved in all horticultural aspects of the farm business, including planting, crop maintenance, utilizing specialized farming techniques and tools, harvesting, sorting, packing, organizing and filling orders, managing inventory, learning about nutrient management techniques, liaising with retail and wholesale customers, managing retails sales and merchandizing at on-farm markets, general miscellaneous farm work, landscaping and yard maintenance, minor repairs and maintenance, assistance with pick-your-own operation, harvesting crops, retail and wholesale sales and produce delivery.
During harvest, participants will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of and weekday management of on-farm fruit and vegetable markets and pick-your-own. The majority of visitors to the pick-your- own are from the Greater Toronto Area. Our farm is conveniently located on the way to Niagara Falls and we are a popular stop for tourists seeking an on-farm experience. This job will give youth employees first-hand experience working in small-scale agri-business and with a focus on agricultural retail sales (a key component of agriculture especially considering the main way for a small-scale agricultural business to be viable in Canada is through retail sales, product differentiation and added-value).
We are an equal opportunities employer and all applicants will be considered. This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval.
- Friendly and outgoing; positive attitude
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Able to multi-task and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Good decision making ability
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Willing to work weekends and occasionally evenings or early mornings
- Willing to work outdoors
- Requires the ability to lift 35 lbs
Additional skills (considered an asset but not essential):
- Valid driver's license
- Awareness of local food, fruit or horticulture
- Previous retail sales experience
- Experience driving a cargo van
- A second language is an asset, especially languages spoken in Asia, SE Asia, Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe
- Reverence for Mother Earth
This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding approval. To be eligible for employment under a Canada Summer Jobs grant, youth must meet all of the following criteria.
To be eligible, youth must meet ALL 3 criteria:
1) be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period;
2) be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
3) have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Visit our website: http://20valleyharvest.com/
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/20valleyharvest/