Harvest Winemaker -#6894 – L
Andrew Peller Ltd.
We are one of Canada’s largest and oldest wine companies with a rich heritage in quality winemaking. We produce some of Canada’s most recognized brands and offer our teammates a challenging and rewarding employment experience. We are seeking a Harvest Winemaker for a 4.5-month contract to join our Grimsby Winery during our exciting Harvest season, which runs from mid-July to the end of November.
Reporting into the Winemaker, VQA, The Harvest Winemaker will be responsible for the harvest winemaking process to ensure compliance to specifications given by the Winemakers with the goal of maximizing quality and efficiency. Primary focus will be on 2020 juice and wine. We are looking for a teammate with a minimum B.Sc. or related post-secondary diploma/degree, and three years’ experience in Winery Operations preferred.
- Communicate with Winemaker on the status of the respective ferments, movements and cellar activities/processes
- Actively participate in tastings of juices, ferments and finished wines
- Communicate with Cellar Manager and Staff on status of cellar activities/processes
- Ensure all samples and requested analysis for winemaking are presented to the quality control lab in a timely fashion
- Issue work orders to cellar supervisor for all daily activities
- Manage sugar inventory, placing order with Winemaking processing technician when required
- Assist with dry ice list, fermenter sheets, Inoculations, malo build ups
- Assist with product quality and process optimization trials
- Inspection of fruit upon arrival
- Update the Oak Inventory (binder) to include new oak bag sizes, WIS codes, and general oak addition guidelines
- Tracking of yeast and oak usage
- Assist with set up, sampling and tasting for micro-ox
- Assist with entering work tickets and juice/wine analysis into WIS as needed
- React to daily analysis as per Good Manufacturing and Winemaking practices
- Maintain Occupational Health and Safety program as per corporate guidelines
- Follows safe work procedures and practices and reports all unsafe working conditions/hazards to their reporting
- Successfully worked 2 - 3 vintages
- Degree or Diploma in Food Science, Chemistry or Biochemistry preferred
- Experience in food science/food manufacturing preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of fermentation
- Knowledge of WHMIS, HACCP, and ISO an asset
- Able to meet deadlines while managing conflicting priorities and maintaining a high level of detail and accuracy
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems as they arise in a calm and scientific approach
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
We are conducting an internal and external search simultaneously. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Andrew Peller Limited is committed to meeting the needs of persons with temporary and/or permanent disabilities in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We are happy to discuss any need for accommodation in the workplace and will make an effort to meet those needs in a timely manner by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in the areas of information, communications, and employment.