Greenbelt Academy & Early Learning Centre
Greenbelt Academy and Early Learning Centre is in search of a self-motivated, passionate, and nature loving Educator to fill the position of Short Term Specialized Support Educator at our Grimsby, Ontario location. Although this is a part time/ short term contract (14 weeks) to start, it could lead to more hours in the future. This position is perfect for a student looking to gain experience in the field while attending school.
Please visit our website at www.greenbeltacademy.ca for more information about our school and what programs we offer our community.
Mission: Education rooted in nature to inspire in our students a deeper connection to the community around them.
Vision: Every child is given the opportunity to learn about their world through daily access to extended time in nature. Quality educators facilitate an emergent curriculum that reflects the needs of the whole child and meets the demands of the world in which we live.
Our preschool provides participants with a nature immersion experience guided by qualified Educators while onsite in our enriched learning environment, or while we access the local parks and forests in our community.
- Being familiar with and supporting the Forest School Canada’s guide
- Being familiar with and supporting the How does learning happen?- Ontario’s pedagogy for the early years
- Recognizes and responds to the needs of each child by using developmentally appropriate teaching and child behaviour management techniques
- Demonstrates an above and beyond commitment to the development and safety of children in our care, and is familiar with and comfortable facilitating an environment that support Risky play as described in the FOREST AND NATURE SCHOOL IN CANADA: A Head, Heart, Hands Approach to Outdoor Learning guide
- Shares in the responsibility for planning, preparing and implementing stimulating, age-appropriate activities that encourage children’s creativity and learning and promote each
child’s social, emotional, cognitive and physical development. Helps to create an inclusive environment
- Participates in the ongoing learning and development of children through lesson planning, attendance, and other documentation
- Works in a collaborative and team-oriented manner, and maintains regular and open communication with partnered educators and all other team members
- Provides documentation to Resource Consultant to support children in the program
- Enthusiasm working with children outdoors in all weather
- Performs other duties as requested by the Director of Preschool Programs
- Builds and maintains appropriate relationships with parents and supports an open environment of communication regarding their child’s day
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with children aged 18 months-2.5 years old
- Experience working with children with exceptionalities an asset
- Experience communicating with parents and resource consultants through various mediums
- Knowledge and/or a passion for environmental education, and an understanding of the benefits of providing children with regular access to nature, will be seen as an asset
- Early Childhood experience
- Early Childhood Assistant experience
- Educational Assistant experience
- Valid Standard First Aid and Level “C” CPR
- Current (with in 6 month) vulnerable sector Police Record Check
Employment type: Part-time, 7.5 hours a day. (Thursday/ Friday). Please note that this is a 12 week contract to start. Hours may change after the contract is renewed to meet the needs of the child in the program that you will be supporting.