Grimsby Public Library
The Grimsby Public Library is looking for a Reading Buddies Coordinator.
Children’s literacy development has taken a downward slide since the start of school closures due to covid. This position is key to helping struggling young readers in our community gain the confidence and skills to enjoy reading and to succeed in school.
The Reading Buddies Coordinator will develop and deliver a one-to-one, volunteer-driven literacy tutoring program to children entering grades 1 to 6. To maximize inclusivity, literacy tutoring will include virtual and in-person options and materials will be developed to accommodate both formats.
This position is supervised by, and works collaboratively with, the Children Services Coordinator. Working on-site and remotely is expected of this position.
The successful candidate will be required to follow all library health protocols.
Evening and Saturday work are required of this position to accommodate participation of volunteers and children.
- Participate in all required training and Library orientation activities
- Develop an understanding of children’s literacy skill development
- Identify literacy tutoring resources that are engaging, interactive, and can be adapted to individual literacy needs
- Work collaboratively to create a Reading Buddies Volunteer Handbook, an Orientation to Reading Buddies presentation, volunteer recruitment tools, and a collection of tutoring-specific resources
- Take part in recruiting, training and scheduling volunteers
- Participate in literacy tutoring
- Act as primary contact for program
- Participate in regular meetings with supervisor
- Collect data and prepare final report
- Fulfill all YCW reporting requirements
- Other tasks as assigned
Education and Training:
- Pursuing post-secondary studies in the fields of education, child development, linguistics, library science, communications, or media studies
- Candidates from other academic programs will be considered if they can demonstrate experience tutoring children
- Demonstrated experience planning and delivering a program for children is required
- Excellent communication and language skills are required
- Confidence working with computer applications such as MS Office, social media, and meeting software (e.g. Zoom)
- Experience with internet research and a strong interest in learning new computer applications is essential
- Strong time-management and organizational skills, and ability to work independently are required
- Ability to offer French language support to French immersion students entering grades 1 to 6 is preferred
- Knowledge of public libraries and collections would be considered an asset
Applicants for this position must be eligible and registered for the Young Canada Works program. Register and apply for the position at the Young Canada Works website, visit https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/ for additional information and eligibility criteria.
- The successful candidate must be available to work for the entire contract of 26 weeks
- The successful candidate must have access to a vehicle
Terms of Appointment:
Position to commence: Tuesday, October 5, 2021
Contract Duration: Monday October 4, 2021 to Thursday March 31, 2022 [26 weeks]
Evening and Saturday work are required of this position to accommodate participation of volunteers and children. Working on-site and remotely is expected of this position.
YCW registered applicants should apply online at https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/ by 5:00 pm on Friday, September 10, 2021.
For further details about this position, please contact:
Kathryn Drury, CEO and Chief Librarian
Grimsby Public Library
18 Carnegie Lane,
Grimsby, ON L3M 1Y1
Grimsby Public Library is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.