Harbison Walker International (HWI)
Are you looking for a career with opportunities to create, build and participate in the evolution of an industry that’s a vital to North American and global manufacturing? A career with a company whose leadership is committed to business success and making Harbison Walker International (HWI) a great place to work? A career that is both challenging and rewarding? A career with professional and personal growth, work-life balance and the chance to work with exceptional coworkers? Think HWI!
We are actively expanding our team of dedicated, enthusiastic people – particularly in research and development, engineering and manufacturing, product management and sales. As a dynamic, growing global refractory leader, we offer competitive compensation, benefits packages and wellness programs.
We currently have openings in our Smithville casting plant for Production Technicians.
The Production Technician is responsible for maintaining a clean, safe work environment while forming, finishing and packaging castable, refractory products. This position is a labour position which requires ascending and descending steps, constant movement between locations at ground level throughout the day to ensure flow and quality control of the product.
- Mixing raw materials for casting forms, providing quality control and finishing the final product
- Lifting and moving product / objects up to 50 pounds
- Form pressed shapes which includes forklift operation and steady manual labour
- Attending and participating in daily safety and tier 1 meetings
- Perform various types of maintenance on equipment
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Physical Activity: requires more than 2/3 of the time standing, walking, using hands and fingers, reaching, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, speaking, hearing, tasting or smelling; requires less than 1/3 of the time sitting
- Lifting: requires lifting to 10 pounds more than 2/3 of the time and lifting more than 100 pounds less than 1/3 of the time
- Vision: requires accurate close distance and colour including the ability to adjust focus and use peripheral vision
- Environment: requires working near moving mechanical parts, and being exposed to fumes, airborne particles and outdoor weather conditions; in extreme heat or cold and exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals; less than 1/3 of the time in an office setting, in high places, at risk of electrical shock and near vibration (respiratory masks are required for some tasks)
- Noise: requires working in very loud conditions (over 85 decibels)
- a high school diploma or equivalent preferred
- previous forklift experience preferred
- understanding of basic safety / OSHA standards
- some mechanical aptitude
- some manufacturing experience is an asset