1 Full-time position
1036 Lakeshore Rd West, St. Catharines, ON
Jeffery’s Greenhouses Inc. is a greenhouse producer and wholesale distributor of spring bedding, container and potted plants supplying customers throughout Ontario and New York state. Our facility located at 1036 Lakeshore Rd West, consists of approximately 350,000 square feet of poly-covered greenhouse growing space as well a 200,000 square feet of service buildings (transplanting barn, warehouse, farm help homes).
Jeffery’s is currently seeking a Greenhouse Maintenance Technician to work on a full-time, permanent basis commencing as soon as possible.
As a Greenhouse Maintenance Technician, you will provide first response to faulty equipment, greenhouse systems and building conditions, carrying out both reactive and planned maintenance activities as well as being involved in continuous improvement projects within our state-of-the-art greenhouse facility.
Reporting to the Vice President and/or Production Manager, you will be responsible for performing preventative maintenance, inspection, breakdown, installation, troubleshooting and repair of greenhouse equipment, systems, and facilities, consistent with company and government standards of safety (OHSA, CSA and CFIA) to ensure all equipment and greenhouse systems are functioning at peak performance.
- Preventive maintenance of low-pressure steam boilers, tanks, steam traps, valves, strainer lines, fuel changes etc. and supervising licensed TSSA contractors to perform boiler repairs
- Monitoring Argus Titan climate control software for boiler, hydro, water alarms during working hours and be on call on a rotating basis to respond to such alarms after hours
- Plumbing including irrigation trees, headers, irrigation and heating auto valves, steam pipes, retrofits, new installation, and repairs
- Electrical retrofits and or supervision of and assistance to licenced electrical contractors
- Greenhouse structural maintenance including windows, fans, poly repairs, applying whitewash to greenhouse roofs and supervising contractors replacing poly coverings on greenhouse ranges
- Mechanical failure and repair of greenhouse equipment (stationary and moving) and ongoing maintenance
- Maintenance and/supervision of grounds as well as two farm help houses located on the property
- Develop and maintain a preventive maintenance schedule for all moving and stationary equipment and greenhouse systems (including tractors, racks, sprayers, buggies, forklifts/pallet lifters, skyjacks, fans, conveyors, transplanters, bale breakers, planting lines, pumps, switches, irrigation lines, poly-roof changes etc), and maintain electronic/written service records of such repair detailing date, problem, service done and service technician
- Pre-season checks on seasonal equipment and post season overhauls (ie. transplanters and conveyor lines, trimming machines, etc.)
Skills and Knowledge:
- Minimum 3 years mechanical/electrical maintenance experience in a greenhouse (or agricultural processing) setting is required
- Experience with low pressure steam boilers and hot water heating is essential (TSSA certification is an asset), as is responding to Argus Titan greenhouse climate control software alarms and programming
- Good communicative skills (both verbal and written) is required in order to interact positively with production and growing staff when troubleshooting repairs as well as supervising 3rd party skilled trades contractors carrying out repair/maintenance projects
- Computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft office applications (outlook, word, excel) is desirable
- Trades certificates (electrical, mechanical, stationary engineering) preferred
- Safety Certifications including First Aid, Forklift Operation and Working at Heights preferred
- The position involves considerable physical work including walking, lifting (light to moderate), and working at heights
- Working in hot, humid climate indoors during spring/summer months, ability to adjust to climate changes and work outdoors when necessary
Work Environment & Requirements:
- 85% of time in the greenhouse (a controlled environment with heat but no air conditioning), 10% of time outdoors, and 5% of time in office
- Machinery in maintenance shop and boiler room may be especially noisy requiring use of ear protection
- Steel-toed safety boots are required
- Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Weekends and longer hours may be necessary depending on projects or during peak spring season
- Rotational weekly alarm duty to respond to boiler and security alarms
Remuneration and Benefits:
- $22/hr minimum, subject to increase depending on experience and trade certifications
- Standby flat rate for alarm duty, with a premium rate payable when responding to alarms
- Comprehensive group benefit plan includes extended healthcare, dental care, vision care and life insurance as well as employee and family assistance program
- Group RRSP
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Jeffery’s Greenhouses Inc. values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation during the interview and selection process.
The start date for this full-time permanent position is immediate. Open until filled. Please forward your resume explaining your experience in working with all the required or essential greenhouse equipment and systems listed earlier, all trade and safety certifications held and work references to firstname.lastname@example.org.