A local foundry in Grimsby is seeking a full time Furnace Lead Hand to join their team and start immediately.
This is a highly physical position, within a hot metal casting environment.
Willing to train the right candidate. This position has the potential to graduate into another role.
Hours of work: Monday – Friday 6:00am -3:00pm
- Assists Furnace Foreman remove previous days drop from furnace bottom using pick axe, pitch fork and rake; shovels materials into bobcat bucket for disposal
- Assist in mixing cupola patch for relining furnace and transports material to furnace using wheelbarrow
- Helps Furnace Foreman patch furnace, close trap doors on furnace
- When not working on furnace, will assist Floor Molders by shoveling sand and lifting molds
- Help charge furnace with coke and scrap iron using a wheelbarrow; scrap iron pieces vary in weight from 1-2 lbs up to 50 lbs and are picked up by hand or pitch fork
- A full wheelbarrow of scrap iron is approximately 500 lbs equals 1 charge; this is done approximately 15-20 times per day
- Maintenance of work area before shift ends
- Observe all health and safety policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as required
- Able to do heavy and very physical work; heavy lifting
- Able to work in a hot, dusty, dirty metal casting environment
- Strong work ethic
- Willing to learn
- Safety boots must have metatarsal protection
- Must have own transportation
- Employer willing to train
- Health & Safety certificate, an asset
- WHMIS certificate, an asset