Seniors for Seniors
If you are retired and want to provide elderly companion care and make a difference in asenior’s life, you should join our team!
Reports to: Client Care Coordinator /Supervisor or Branch Manager
External Relations: Clients, Interdisciplinary Team, POA
The Driver Companion assists clients with their transportation needs, acting as a companionto the client throughout the service. All direct client care activities are performed under thedirection of the client in full knowledge of the Branch Manager and Client Care Coordinator.
- Provide companionship and support for clients under the direction of the Branch Manager and Client Care Coordinator
- Drive clients to various locations as needed
- Accompany client to appointments and leisure activities or perform errands as directed by Branch Manager or Client Care Coordinator
- Assist clients with their groceries and other parcels as needed
- Assist clients with mobility, if necessary
- Listen, observe and communicate any concerns/changes in the client’s physical and or emotional condition immediately to the Branch Manager and Client Care Coordinator
- Regularly assesses clients’ surroundings to ensure that they have a safe home environment e.g. recognize fall risks, hoarding – reporting concerns to the Branch Manager or the Client Care Coordinator
- When applicable, assists with transfer of client to wheelchair, chair, commode or bed
- When applicable, assists with the positioning of client in bed or chair
- May assist and or provide general exercise/activities to maintain mobility and independence as directed by the client, their family or the Client Care Coordinator at the request of the family
- If directed by a Branch Manager or Client Care Coordinator, may perform errands related to client request
- Completion of documentation outlining the care provided, including changes and/or concerns about the patient
- Utilizes routine practices and appropriate PPE as applicable
- Attend all mandatory in-Services and other educational programs
- Adheres to the safe work/risk management policies and practices of Seniors for Seniors
- Works within the Ethical Practice Framework of Seniors for Seniors
- Understands the range of services provided by each division of the Spectrum family and
how it contributes to our model of Total Client Care
- Continually assesses, anticipates, identifies and responds to new and changing needs of
clients and communicates available Total Client Care resources to clients when appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- Effective English communication skills; other languages an asset
- Ability to interact with others in a caring, tactful and courteous manner
- Ability to work independently within scope of role and request supervision asnecessary
- Valid ‘G’ driver’s license is required
- Class 07, or equivalent, car insurance is required
- Clean drivers abstract is required
- Current Police Check suitable for working with the vulnerable sector
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the duties described under Duties and Responsibilities
Working conditions can vary depending on the client’s needs, home environment and the level of cleanliness. The Driver Companion will alternate between sitting, standing and walking throughout the shift. Client transfer assistance in and out of the vehicle may be required.
The Driver Companion will also assist with the carrying of groceries and other goods. The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.
It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.