Community Gardens Youth Program Assistant – #5716 -ST
The Employment Help Centre
Position Title: Community Gardens Youth Program Assistant (30 hours per week)
Status: Temporary (Summer Jobs Services- 9 Weeks)
Location: West Niagara
Reference #: 2019-01V
- Assist the Community Gardens Program Coordinator with program development and delivery
- Assist in the development and facilitation of community workshops regarding topics including how to grow, prepare and preserve fresh vegetables, and affordable and sustainable gardening techniques
- Provide support and mentorship to youth facing barriers
- Facilitate growing operations for local food banks and community organizations
- Develop and implement strategies to coordinate local community outreach initiatives
- Assist with the organization and administration of membership databases, meetings and events
- Participate in relevant community events to raise profile and awareness of Network
- Assist and maintain a consistent level of communication with youth, volunteers and gardeners via newsletters and social media platforms
- Develop and distribute monthly newsletter to youth, volunteers, and gardeners
- Adhere to Employment Help Centre and Community Garden Policy and Procedures
The above tasks are representative but not all-inclusive. Programs may change depending on funder guidelines.
What Are We Looking For?
A Youth Program Assistant working with the Community Gardens Program will always maintain a high level of professionalism and willingness to go above and beyond to support the needs of the program. The Youth Program Assistant will employ core values of Customer Service, Integrity, Community, Empowerment and Partnerships.
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment (as per Canada Summer Jobs guidelines)
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Must have a G2 or G level driver’s license, be insured and have a reliable vehicle to transport to various work sites
- Completion of WHMIS and First Aid Certification is an asset
All applications must include a Cover Letter and Resume and be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should applicants have any questions throughout the application process, please don’t hesitate to contact Ashley Marceau- HR Coordinator with Employment Help Centre.
This job posting is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all functions that the Community Gardens Youth Program Assistant will be asked to perform from time to time. This list is only a sample; a Community Gardens Youth Program Assistant may be required to perform other duties.
Employment Help Centre is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.