Town of Lincoln
The Lincoln Museum and Cultural Centre: Home of The Jordan Historical Museum of the Twenty is hiring an Indigenous Collections Consultant. A strategic priority for the museum is to “consult, advocate, decolonize, and collaborate with Indigenous people and communities in order to move towards the goal of reconcilliation”. This position is a small step towards the goal of reconcilliation.
This position is created through a partnership with the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation (MCFN) and the candidate will work closely with both the museum and the MCFN to complete the project.
The role of the Indigenous Collections Consultant specifically relates to the documentation, interpretation and research of the Indigenous collections currently held by the Lincoln Museum and Cultural Centre. Through this project, the Indigenous Collections Consultant will aim to center Indigenous knowledge, histories, cultures, languages, traditions, worldviews, and ways of knowing specific to Indigenous objects in the museum’s collection, and future exhibitions and programming that may include these objects.
This contract position is for 28 hours / week until March 31, 2024 with flexibility related to working locations (opportunities to work hybrid – remote/onsite).
- Catalogue and research Indigenous objects within the museum’s collection. This will involve consulting with Elders, and performing research (archives, libraries, and the collections of other museums)
- Photographing and digitizing the collection, including the use of digital camera and lighting equipment, and collections management software Past Perfect
- Assisting with the education of staff, volunteers, and the public on Indigenous objects within the collection
- Assist in the development of content for future exhibitions and programming at the museum
- Other responsibilities, as required
The Successful Candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Cultural/ Ancestral Knowledge
- Attention to detail
- Research skills
- Indigenous Lens when viewing the artifacts
- Experience with MS Office suite
- Access to own vehicle (mileage provided)
- Comfortable working independently
- Training in museum practices is an asset
Please note that the Town of Lincoln requires that all newly hired employees are to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of being hired and provide proof of full vaccination or provide proof of a bona fide medical or Human Rights Code exemption on a form issued from and approved by the Town of Lincoln
Qualified candidates are requested to forward their resume by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, August 1st, 2022
This job description is available in alternative formats, or accessible communication supports, upon request.
We thank all applicants who apply but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The information gathered is in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only for candidate selection.