West Lincoln Public Library
The West Lincoln Public Library invites applications for a part-time position of Library Page. This position requires daytime, evening, Saturday and Sunday work for an average of 18-20 hours over a two week pay period. Please reference job id#2021 – 02 in the email subject line and your cover letter.
This position provides front line customer service at prominent service desks at all locations.
Under the direction of the Supervisor – Administrative Services, the incumbent is responsible for assisting borrowers with the Library’s lending functions using an automated library system. The incumbent is responsible for helping borrowers use the catalogue providing readers’ advice and limited information service, maintaining borrower records, check-in check-out loaned materials, returning materials to the shelf and maintaining order in circulating collections.
- Perform all functions required for circulation operation – new borrower registration/orientation, check-in, check-out, renewals, placing title requests using an automated system, issuing requests for items not owned, accepting payment for lost charges using a manual cash system
- Understand and explain the Library’s rules, regulations, collections and services; follow Library polices and procedures established in the Procedures Manual
- Instruct in the use of the public access catalogue
- Provide Reader’s advisory to library users
- Perform general clerical duties
- Sorts and organizes material for shelving, shelves material, tidies shelves and shelf-reads to ensure material is in its proper place
- Actively promote Library services and programs
- Assist with the opening and closing procedures of the Library
- Participate in book promotion programs
- Serve as a member of the Circulation Team, and attends all departmental and staff meetings
- Responsible for maintaining the privacy of personal information and borrowing record of patrons in accordance with privacy legislation
- May serve as a member of the Health and Safety Committee
- May serve on other committees as assigned
- Perform other job-related duties
- Strong customer service skills
- Good knowledge of popular fiction and non-fiction titles, and ability to promote titles
- Familiarity with office software and equipment
- Knowledge of an integrated library system, preferably Evergreen.
- Able to accommodate a variable schedule
- Can organize time efficiently
- Ability to interact pleasantly and courteously with the public and staff, and to promote a harmonious workplace
- Strong oral communication skills and an ability to write well in English
- Minimum education: Secondary School diploma
- Post-Secondary education in a library related field is an asset
- Equivalent of one year’s experience in working in a public service with people of all ages
- Experience working in a public library is an asset
- Library-related post-secondary education
- Public library work experience
- Familiarity with an automated library collection management system
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, including the job id#2021-02, no later than 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday May 5, 2021.
Please note that applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.