March Break Day Camp Head Counsellors – #4380 -S
YMCA of Niagara
The YMCA Day Camp department is seeking individuals with experience with children in a recreational setting to prove leadership for specific camps over the March Break. We are seeking individuals with energy, enthusiasm, flexibility, empathy and creativity.
Positions available in: Welland, St. Catharines, Grimsby, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie and Port Colborne
Successful applicants will be required to attend training during evenings and weekends in February and early March.
These are seasonal positions working 40 to 44 hrs/wk.
Camp runs Monday, March 12, 2018 to Friday, March 16, 2018
Day Camp Overview:
Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm, with extended care from 7:30am to 6pm. The majority of camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day.
For more information on this and the variety of camps we offer, please visit our website: ymcadaycamp.ca.
Successful applicants must attend all pre-camp meetings and training, including training on YMCA Child Protection Policies & Procedures.
Preference will be given to applicants who are available to work all days that camp is running in the cities they are applying for.
- Consistently effectively communicate with parents and other team members to ensure a successful camp experience for everyone involved
- Participate in active games, sports, swimming and other activities
Be mature, energetic and flexible
- Providing a fun, safe and supportive environment for campers
- Ensure YMCA Day Camp program outcomes are achieved
- Demonstrate empathy and caring towards campers, staff and parents
- Coach, motivate and supervise camp counsellors
- Cooperatively plan and organize safe and creative daily activities for campers including theme days and special events
- Head Counsellors are also responsible for their own group of 8 to 12 children
- Support Counsellors with effective behaviour management techniques
- Experience working with children or youth in a Day or Residential Camp setting
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Values driven individuals who make excellent role models for children and youth
- Sound judgement and decision making skills
- Energy, enthusiasm and flexibility
- Experience coaching staff or volunteers is an asset
- Experience planning and leading programs
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C
- Criminal Reference Check – Vulnerable Sector Search is required for applicants 18 and over prior to hiring (issued in the last 12 months)
- The ability to participate in physical activity (including swimming), and work in an outdoor environment in various weather conditions
Camp Staff that held a Head Counsellor position or above during the summer of 2017 are invited to submit a letter of interest. All other applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by noon on January 31, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter/letter of interest please indicate:
- The position you are applying for
- The days that you are available to work
- All cities that you are available to work in
If you are a returning YMCA of Niagara Day Camp staff please indicate your previous position(s) worked in camp. Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request.
For more information for this and other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit our website: www.ymcaofniagara.org.