March Break Group, Program Support, Floater and Break Counsellors – #4382-S
YMCA of Niagara
Positions available in: Welland, St. Catharines, Grimsby, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie and Port Colborne.
Successful applicants will be required to attend training during evenings and weekends in February and March.
Seasonal full time position 37.5–42.5 hrs/wk (or 25 hrs/wk for break counsellors).
Camp runs Monday, March 12, 2018 to Friday, March 16, 2018
Starting wage: $13.15/hour plus YMCA membership benefits for the month of March.
Group Counsellors are responsible for the safety, supervision and care of a group of 8 to 12 children. They will lead a variety of camp activities for the children in their group throughout the camp day, and ensure they have an amazing camp experience.
Program Support Counsellors will support children with special needs or behavioral challenges in a smaller ratio, helping to integrate them into the camp group. Program Support Counsellors may be required to support their campers with personal care (feeding, changing, etc), and provide adapted programming to meet the needs of all campers.
Floater Counsellors are assigned as a Group Counsellor to a specific camp for a day or a week to assist with time off. Floater Counsellors are dynamic individuals who can jump in to a variety of camps, and provide campers with a great experience. Access to a reliable vehicle is an asset.
Break Counsellors are scheduled for a portion of the day to cover Group and Program Support counsellors during their break. Break staff are energetic and flexible staff that ensures campers experience no change in the scheduled program during the staff transition. Access to a reliable vehicle is an asset.
- Experience working or volunteering with children or youth
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older
- Values driven individuals who make excellent role models for children and youth
- Experience working in day or residential camp is an asset
- Energy, enthusiasm and flexibility
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C
- Criminal Reference Check – Vulnerable Sector Search is required for applicants 18 and over prior to hiring (issued in the last 12 months), applicants under 18 will be will be required to sign a waiver confirming they have not been convicted of a criminal offence
- The ability to participate in ongoing physical activity (including swimming), and work in an outdoor environment in various weather conditions
- Program Support applicants - experience working with children with special needs, behaviour considerations, or physical limitations is required
Day Camp Overview:
Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm, with extended care from 7:30am to 6pm. The majority of camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day.
For more information on this and the variety of camps we offer, please visit our website: ymcadaycamp.ca.
Successful applicants must attend all pre-camp meetings and training, including training on YMCA Child Protection Policies & Procedures. Preference will be given to applicants who are available to work all days that camp is running in the cities they are applying for.
Camp Staff that worked during the Summer of 2017 or Winter Holiday Camp 2017-2018 are invited to submit a letter of interest.
All other applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by noon on Wednesday January 31, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter/letter of interest please indicate:
- The position you are applying for
- The days that you are available to work
- All cities that you are available to work in
If you are a returning YMCA of Niagara Day Camp staff please indicate your previous position(s) worked in camp.
Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted. Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request. For more information for this and other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit our website: www.ymcaofniagara.org.